Thursday 13 December 2012

Responding to students' essay



        For this task, I was asked to correct an essay on ' A Scary Experience' by a low proficiency student. Since it was my first time doing this, I was a bit confuse on what I should do. 
       After read through the whole passage, I decided to give the essay six out of ten marks. Although there were plenty of errors in it, I think it was still good that I can follow the flow of the story written. I find that this particular student is using a direct translation from mandarin to write most of the sentences in his essay. There was some time when I will have to guess the meaning of his sentences. Besides that, he/she was facing problems on the punctuation. He/she seems confused on how to use commas and fulls stop, not to mention the capital letters too. His/Her sentences ended up joined together and not well constructed. But however, I believe he/she can improve on his writing if there is action taken. 
      In order to overcome the problem, I will look up for more exercises on punctuation for the student. But I will explain on his/her mistakes so that he/she can have an idea on what should be done to improve.


* example : I with my friends snow and Elva went to theme park_ we had a very nice and scary day. 


      

1 comment: